Senior Software Engineer / Architect
We are looking for someone to help sharpen the engineering team and establish a high level of team participation and interaction. You will also act as a mentor and coach to the team, ensuring that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into production in the desired timeframes. You need to be able to engage, influence and collaborate with different teams across Grain.
- Lead and drive engineering in the ongoing evolution, growth, and transformation of the way Grain delivers all of its products
- Work closely with various Product managers and the CTO to develop and deliver quality products
- Ensure performance and quality of all released products
- Implement and maintain code, quality, processes and coding standards
- Directly manage the performance of the Grain applications and systems to ensure that the organization is meeting business growth and customer needs on time and on quality
- Ensure high quality and high customer satisfaction while maintaining a high pace of innovation
- Develop, lead and inspire the team. Be a magnet for technical talent and accelerate the hiring of strong architects and engineers. Solidify succession plans and enhance management capabilities to meet strategic and operating objectives.
- Be in charge of the interviewing and hiring pipeline to build up the engineering team
- Establish a strong collaborative culture with peers and other functions within Grain. Promote a culture of success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity.
- Be an effective spokesperson and champion for the engineering teams.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a large software development and software services organization, such as making technology and architectural trade-offs, competitive analysis, market gap analysis, life-cycle management, etc
- Work closely and engage with Grain executives and direct reports to establish an environment that is motivating and entrepreneurial in nature. Work especially closely with the Product organization to obtain prompt resolution to key business issues likely to impact product release schedules, product requirements, product quality, and business operations.
- Be required to code when necessary
- Minimum of 2+ years engineering leadership experience with a strong track record of successful development and delivery of software that resulted in material market impact
- Significant engineering management experience in cloud services and SaaS environments
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth and highly dynamic environments
- Successful experience in setting the vision, building, leading and motivating global engineering teams at scale
- A combination of domain expertise in cloud services, SaaS, web and mobile development, infrastructure, and/or system-level software is highly desired
- Trained in software development, organization and leadership from a company well known and widely respected for world-class software development processes and practices
- A team player, who works effectively in a team-based organization, collaborates with cross-functionally and builds support and alignment around goals and objectives
- Track record of retaining, developing, motivating, and mentoring highly effective teams
- Strong leadership and ability to manage other engineers
- Familiarity with RESTful API design and back-end services architecture
- Strong understanding of Git
- Ability to write quality Ruby code
- Familiarity and background using AWS services
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Intellectual curiosity
- Familiarity with React, ReactNative, Vue.js (Optional)
- Prior experience at a growth stage internet or software company (Optional)
What's in it for you:
- Work with a fast growing team to explore and shape best practices
- Flexible working arrangements, remote days if required
- Work in a really cool office with free food
- Competitive compensation package based on experience
You should include these in your application:
- Resume or LinkedIn profile
- Tell us about a time where you had to work on a task that seemed to be extremely challenging, and how you overcame it?
- What are your favourite projects? What motivates you?
- Why hire you over the rest?
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!